About Fullarton Private Hospital
Fullarton Private Hospital is owned and operated by Ramsay Health Care. The hospital provides a full range of general, acute and specialised psychiatric services and also offers a unique Adolescent and Young Adult program.
Fullarton Private Hospital specialises in the treatment of acute adult psychaitric illnesses including;
- Mood disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Personality disorders
The Adolescent and Young Adult service is available to any Psychaitrist with Admitting Privileges with Ramsay Health Care (SA) Mental Health Services and is coordinated by an experienced Psychiatric nurse, a Consultant physician, a Social worker, Dietician and a Psychologist. This program is designed to address the needs of young people who may be experiencing:
- Suicidal and/or self-destructive behaviour
- Anxiety disorders
- Reaction to family problems
- School refusal
- Psychosomatic disorder
- Substance abuse disorders and eating disorders.
Ongoing management after discharge may be :
A Young Adult Day Patient Program which has been developed to reduce the length of hospitalisation and offer the ongoing benefit of support and participation in day Program activities while the Young Adult is integrating back into family, social and education environments.
A Community Service is available to post discharge patients who the treating psychiatrist feels would benefit from support. As such, this service can assist in early discharge and reduce the need for re-hospitalisation.
The aims and objectives of the service are;
- To maintain continuity of care by support after discharge from hospital
- To assist patients by giving supportive counselling in the home environment therefore reducing the frequency of hospital admissions
- To focus on individual needs of the patient
- To provide support and individual care
- To promote self-management
The Community Nurse will provide progress reports to the treating psychiatrist. Regular liaison with the doctor as deemed necessary is also part of the service. The cost of the home visit is covered by the major health funds with no costs incurred by the patient.